keskiviikko 12. kesäkuuta 2013

SPEECHLESS IN JORDANIAN



An idea to travel to the Middle east does not sound like a recipe for a happy relaxing holidays. 
Well,  I could not have been more wrong! 

One October morning I took a plane with my aunt to Israel, which we made our base location. From there it was easy to move to other countries nearby. One of the first destinations we wanted to see was a city in Jordanian, Petra. We reserved our seats from a bus and packed our passports. The thing about these package trips is that there is always some black sheep who forgets one. This time there were two who managed to do that. Luckily, we had time to turn around and get them and still see what we were all waiting for. We arrived close to the city and left the bus. While walking towards the city I started to talk with our guide. He was definitely flirting with my blond hair. I tried to be cool even though I was only one kilometre away from one of the new Seven Wonders of the World, Petra. The city was originally constructed by the ancient Nabataeans. Two thousand years ago it was vivid metropolitan. The high reddish rocks were impressive and I thanked myself for picking good shoes for this trip. However, nothing could prepare me for what I was about to see. We walked from the shadows and all of a sudden sun peeked out somewhere. The narrow path had come to an end and the two rocks around us formed a sight to remember. We were looking at the Al Khazneh. The city, which was built on rocks, was showing its best. There were other tourists as well taking pictures at the square. One camel stared straight at me. Some of the hawkers had dressed as Bedouins. Tourism had arrived to this place also but it did not stop me from making the most of the sights.




As we went deeper to the city we walked into a woman who looked like a real Bedouin. There are still Bedouins living and as we moved further we met more. Our guide explained that most of them had moved to live higher because of tourists. One young Bedouin tried to make a little exchange with my aunt. Me for 1000 camels. Not enough, my aunt decided and we continued our journey. Later she revealed the real reason why I am not writing this article from Petra dressed as a Bedouin. The camels would not have fitted into the bus back to the base. Good point, since the journey to Petra is long, rocky and narrow. There is only one way to get to the city and it goes through mountain range. But that trip is definitely worth every single moment.


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti